Top 5 Performances of 2016
Law And Order Party is not without its flaws, and chief among them (for me) is that I’m way more likely to check out a play or a film that I can review the following week, as opposed to a live show by a touring band or dance troupe or choral ensemble or whatever. I recommended 37 performances in the past year, from contemporary dance to live classical events to opera at the movie theater, but I hardly made it to any of these things myself. That said, here are five standouts that I actually did see:
5. Island Moving Company, Moment To Moment
4. Salzburg Marionette Theatre, Peter and the Wolf/Little Red Riding Hood (Rhode Island College)
3. Bach To The Future IV (Brown University)
2. 10 Hairy Legs (Rhode Island College)
1. Urban Bush Women, Walking With ‘Trane (FirstWorks)
My favorite performance event of the year was one that I neglected to write about when it happened. On February 27th I recommended that you check out a music show that explored “the fine line between dreamy and tiresome.” Whoops! Over at the Vets, meanwhile, FirstWorks was capping off a residency by Brooklyn dance collective Urban Bush Women, whose modern tribute to John Coltrane was a lot deeper, livelier, and more imaginative than I ever expected. Happily, the show went on to win the Dorry for Performance of the Year.